Most recent articles
San Francisco, San Jose Marriott Workers Strike
More than 2,500 UNITE HERE Marriott hotel workers went on strike at all seven of the chain’s union hotels in San Francisco and at the San Jose Marriott, activating picket lines and demonstrating in front of the hotels.
The labor action is part of a nationwide effort that impacts some 8,300 workers in nine North American destinations. Workers in all of the nine destinations have authorized a strike vote. With a strike called in Boston October 3, the number of Marriott union hotel workers currently on strike is 4,000, according to UNITE HERE.
The workers are negotiating for higher wages, improved safety measure and job security. Union contracts expired in the past year in the destinations.
[Related Content: Marriott Strike Vote -- Results From Across the U.S.]
“Today more than 4,000 UNITE HERE workers are on strike against the richest, biggest and most powerful hotel company in the world to change the hospitality industry into a place where workers can still achieve the American dream,” said D. Taylor, international president of UNITE HERE.
“For too long Marriott workers have struggled to get by, forced to work multiple jobs, sustaining workplace injuries, and having their hours cut just to get by," he added. "Today, thousands of UNITE HERE workers are in the streets striking Marriott across the country because [they] believe one job should be enough to live on!”
Marriott International issued the following statement:
“We are disappointed that Unite Here has chosen to resort to a strike at this time. During the strike our hotels are open, and we stand ready to provide excellent service to our guests. While we respect our associates’ rights to participate in this work stoppage, we also will welcome any associate who chooses to continue to work.”
The San Francisco and San Jose hotels impacted by the October 4 strike are the following:
- San Francisco Marriott Union Square, Palace Hotel by Marriott, W San Francisco by Marriott, Westin St. Francis Union Square by Marriott, San Francisco Marriott Marquis, Courtyard San Francisco Downtown by Marriott and St. Regis San Francisco.
- San Jose Marriott.
The strike coincides with the start of what is considered the start of convention season in the cities.
According to Moscone Center, major conventions using the city’s primary convention facility in the next two months include the following:
- October 3-7: IDWeek 2018: Moscone North, South and West
- October 13-17: Anesthesiology 2018: Moscone North, South and West
- October 22-25: Oracle OpenWorld 2018: Moscone North, South and West
- November 6-8: Silver SPUR Awards: Moscone South Esplanade Ballroom
- November 9-13: The Liver Meeting 2018 AASLD: Moscone North and South
- November 15: American Honda: Moscone West, levels 1-3
- November 21-25: San Francisco International Auto Show, 61st Annual: Moscone North and South
- November 28-30: California School Boards Association: Moscone West, levels 1-3
More Recent Headlines From Meetings Today: