Most recent articles
Ponche de Frutas
17 cups water
1 large piloncillo cone or 2 cups brown sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
3 1/3 cups of tejocotes
12 medium guavas
3/4 cup chopped prunes
1½ cup chopped apples
1 cup chopped pear
½ cup raisins
3 pieces of sugar cane, about 6 inches long, cut into four pieces each.
1 cup of peeled tamarind pods or 1 cup of Jamaica flowers
Rum or eau-de-vie to taste
- Place water in a large saucepan.
- Add the piloncillo (or brown sugar) and the cinnamon, cook for about 15 minutes.
- If you are using fresh tejocotes, add them with the piloncillo and cinnamon, as they take longer to soften.
- Add the chopped guavas, apples and prunes along with the rest of the ingredients, such as pieces of sugar cane, tamarind pods or Jamaican flowers. If you're using the canned version of the jeans, add them in this step.
- Simmer for about 1 hour. Serve hot in cups, serve some fruit and add rum to taste.
See Chef Gerardo Rivera's Other Sweet Mexican Dessert Recipes